Many good things happened this year, and those I am willing to take credit for. At the very least, I'm determined to focus on the good things that happened, rather than the bad, and the things I plan to do.
A. Thirteen things I did right in 2010.
|Training run at 10,000 feet with|
Sweet Baboo, kind of the cool running
12. One may recall that for several years, it was my dream and my goal for each year to break a 10-minute mile. After a few years, I gave up, and stopped talking about it.
And then, in May, on MOTHER'S DAY, it happened. My oldest timed me during the annual Jay Bensen sprint triathlon for me. "So how long did the 5k take me?"
"Twenty-seven and 29 seconds," he replied.
"No," impatiently, I shook my head. "You screwed up. I've never done a 5k that fast." He didn't argue, good boy that he is, but he was right: I'd run a 9:30 mile. And then, a few months later, I ran a 9-minute mile.
|Do I look satisfied?|
I do. My 5K PR, 28.06
Close...oh, so close
10. I ran my half marathons faster.
9. I ran my full marathons faster.
|Something I actually did right.|
7. Oldest son left the Army, where I had pretty much forced him to go back in 2002. He arrived, intact, well-groomed, and responsible. So apparently, I did that right. That's one kid I don't think I screwed up too badly.
|Her Dogness, the Chloe. |
Picture doesn't capture the soulful look.
I, who hates needy (HAAAAAATES IT) got a dog. I adore her big brown nose and golden eyes. She was a shelter dog, and is mostly Rhodesian Ridgeback. She is teaching me patience. You'd have thought work would have done that, but no: that's work. She is at home. I am learning patience at home. And no matter how snippy I am when I come home, no matter how late or early, she adores me and is always happy to see me. Did I say happy? ECSTATIC. I mean, Sweet Baboo is happy to see me, but he doesn't wag his tail so hard that his whole body waggles.
5. Finally, the right thyroid meds, training, and diet formed a trifecta of weight loss. Thirty pounds!
|Himself, finishing 102 miles. Climbed|
2 mountains, twice, to finish.
It was a privilege and an honor to urge him through, to watch him suffer and then recover, to watch his pride and satisfaction when he finished and know that I had a part of that.
|The best buckle. Ever.|
3. I completed my longest distance this year, a 100K.
2. I made peace with my past, and with part of my present. Almost. Sorta. Okay, still working on that.
1. I renewed my commitment to the wisest, kindest, best man I know, who is my best friend. After 10 years, he still surprises me, but in a good way. In fact, in the best of ways. After ten years, he makes me laugh and smile and think, and he is the only person I want to keep me warm on any night, even when I don't need to be kept warm.
|Me and Elvis, Las Vegas, 2010|
|December 2010, |
Death Valley Trail Marathon