Thursday, January 13, 2005

Introduction

Why am I doing this
Well, I woke up this morning, January 14, 2005 and I weigh 194 lbs. When I graduated from high school, I weighed 120. Of course, I grew another inch that year, but even still, my "ideal weight" is around 135, with a 10% allowance either way for frame size. So, ideally, I should weigh between 122 and 148 american pounds. 194 pounds (which is 88 kg) places me in the "clinically obese" category.

I cannot go up a flight of stairs in the school where I teach without reaching the top, out of breath, and muttering "F**K!" under my breath.

My collegues say I don't look like I weigh much, but maybe they're being charitable. I'm 5'6" and pushing a size 18. I think that's the problem with the United States: Rampant denial.I'm also going to occasionally drop some images on this page that I got by going to googles images and typing in "fat".

The amazing thing is that I went from 142 to 194 in just 4 and a half years. 13 pounds a year doesn't sound like much, but after 4 years have gone by--behold, you've gained 52 pounds. This afternoon, I'm going to join a quasi-"weight-watchers" group of other teachers and set some goals.

I want to weigh less.
I want to be able to walk up a hill, or a flight of stairs, without feeling like my heart is leaping out of my chest and I'm going to throw up.
I want to wear normal clothes.
that's not too much to ask, is it?

6 comments:

  1. Hello there! I too found out this morning that I weigh 194 and I am also 5 ft. 6 in. I am forcing myself to squeeze into a 14 but I am in major denial. I had a doctors appointment this morning and that is when I saw the dreaded #. I have been this heavy for 3.5 years now after giving birth. When I went into the hospital to deliver my 9 pound baby, I weighed 191--so you do the math. I've put on more weight now!
    I hate looking into my closet and only being able to wear 1/10th of my clothes.
    Want to work together? I want to weight 135, but at this point I'd be happy with 155!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison, you didn't leave me a way to get in touch with you. This was a post that I made back in 2005. I'm now down to 155, so it can be done. I seem to have stalled there for a while. If you read through my posts over the months, you'll see how I did it, how I learned to run, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! I am currently starting at close to 300 lbs. I left high school at 200 lbs. I have had some issues for the last few years. I am not going to make excuses, but after 2 back surgeries I feel like I need to run up the white flag. Surrender to the fact that I am overweight now, not listen to those people who say "you don't look fat" and get it in gear. My current problem is that I have RSD and can't walk far. I am going to try biking. When I finished sixth grade I was large. probably 250 lbs. By the time I got to high school I was lean again. I moved to a new school to start over. Even after you have lost weight and look like Brad Pitt the people who knew you before can't see it. As I cannot return to work driving a truck because of the pain medications I am on I am going back to school to go for a degree as a Doctor of Osteopathy. I have a lot of support from my friends here, and I am praying I can make it.

    Sorry for rambling, but again congratz! You did a great job.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allison, what a journey! In 2005 I was 226#s at 5'6", now 145 which is up from my lowest weight of 136. It is a constant struggle for me. What I truly admire about people like you is the guts to compete. I run, I run a lot. My longest run to date is 18 miles but still I have no courage to do a marathon. You are quite an inspiration.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I found your blog after googling marathon blogs and Mrs. Duffy had your link. I was 90kg in May (well a lot longer than just May, but you know) of 2008 and decided I didn't want to be 90kg anymore. I lost around 12-13kg by December and kept it all off last year and lost about 2kg more. So I'm now around 75kg. I need to drop at least 5 more and then we'll see.

    I can't imagine doing a full Ironman but loved the 1/2. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...