13. I decided to do a 50k in Washington State. It's near Puget Sound.
Sweet Baboo will be gone the entire month of November, and I've never been away from him that long. So, we're spending a week together in Seattle, a relaxing vaca, just the two of us...we have not taken a vaca, more than a weekend together, just the two of us, in over four years. I've never been there. It's the birthplace of Starbucks, you know. And REI.
Seattle is like Mecca for coffee drinkers. Except that we don't face west; we just do a face plant in a cup of coffee. And many of us do it five times a day.
12. The 50k is the Defiance 50k. It will give me my Washington marathon.
11. While Sweet Baboo is in San Antonio, I will be making a brief trip there. Just so happens there is a Rock'n'Roll marathon there in November. We got married in San Antonio. Ma Baboo lives there.
10. I went for a run saturday. It felt like shit. By mile 8, my lower legs ached like I had just ran a marathon. I don't know why that would be. I am taking a lot of antibiotics, ordered by the dentist oral surgeon. Maybe that has something to do with it. Then Sunday I ran 16.5 miles, until it just got too hot to run.
9. I am finding myself drawn more and more to youths and young adults with high-functioning autism. Moreover, there is a dearth of practioners who work with these folks in this area. It's just something I'm investigating right now. More on this as it developes.
8. My project this year is to fix my skin. I have abused it so. I bought a reallly good starter kit from a local aesthetician but I've discovered that the products themselves arre not what is working so well, it's that I'm using them, faithfully, and in a particular order. I found similar products at Sally's Beauty Supply. It's the best place for someone like me, who is cheap AND vain.
7. So, I am researching such things as glycolic acid, lactic acid, salicilic acid, hydroquinone, and the like. Reading FDA and other things. I got a kindle copy of "The Beauty Bible" and am doing reasearch.
6. Along with fixing my skin comes avoiding the sun, at least this summer. So, I've getting up at dawn, to do 6 to 10 mile runs. Sunday, I got up at 4, to do a 20 mile run.
5. I grilled a heeyooge steak this weekend from a local meat market. I split it with Baboo, and the dog got the bone. The dog then ignored me for the rest of the night as this was the first steak bqone she's ever had. Baboo, however, did not. Lurking under this vegan exterior, unknown to him, was someone who could could cook a serious piece of meat.
Yes, it's true.
I am the grill whisperer.
We bought a little kettle grill a couple weeks ago. It's taken a while to get used to using one again, but here I am. Last month, I just thawed out several large packages of meat and fish grilled them all. It seemed like a bad idea to let those coals go to waste. So then I froze stuff in waxed paper and ziplock bags. Then, for the rest of the month, I would occasionally take out some grilled something and heat it in the microwave. I think I may do this for the rest of my life. I don't know why I love grilled things as much as I do, but I do.
4. I'm also doing something called the Bear Chase 50k in September.
3. Watched three interesting movies this weekend, "Snowcake" "The Pledge," and "Perfum, The Story of a Murderer". Both weird, in their own way. Both interesting, on their own way. Two had Alan Rickman in them, playing very different parts.
2. I take fish oil capsules every day. Today I was so busy reading email I forgot to swallow one of them, and then bit down on it. TRUST ME, DO NOT DO THIS. Just swallow them. Bleh. Ptooey.
1. I now know that I cannot take Amoxicillin, she said, scratching her knee. And her hand. And her back.
Thursday, September 01, 2011