Saturday, March 21, 2015

Stuff old people do.

Dear Diary,

For my fiftieth birthday I did not run a 50K, like Perky plans to do later this year for her fiftieth. Remember, I. Am lazy. I had a spa day, and then the next day...I had another. I lounged in a hot tub in Albuquerque and read a few chapters in the book, "Positivity" by Barbara Frederickson. The next day, I lounged in a hottube in Santa Fe with my awesome buddies who took me up there for my birthday.

(I am running a 50K next weekend.)

Apparently, they watch matinees. On my birthday, which I share with my mother in law, we went to an afternoon matinee. I was the youngest one in the theater.

They get facials. And have aestheticians.

They go blond. Well, at least I did. Inexplicably, I decided last week I wanted to be a blonde again. So I am.

They join AARP. I'm doing it for the discounts. I'm like a discount ninja now with my AARP card, my AAA card, and military dependent card. HOOwahhh! Pick a card!!

They join the Y. Everyone seems pretty friendly. Everyone I saw at the Y, walking in and out of various classes, was around my age or slightly younger. Apparently, when you reach a certain age, you join the Y.

They shop at "senior super-stores" and buy assistive devices. There are entire industries aimed and helping people having to avoid moving too much.

You don't have to bend or move too much to dress, or wash yourself, with the right accoutrements.

Things to help you squeeze the toothpaste tube

Things to make it so you don't have to bend down to wash your scaley feet
Things to keep you from having to reach to wipe yourself
And help you stand up off the toilet.
This will help you get your socks on.
 
This will help you pull your zipper up.
There are things to help you open jars, turn knobs, pour tea, and carry your dishes.
 
 

I think I want to do that on my own for as long as possible. I'm a huge believer in "use it or lose it."


So Here's my assistive devices:

 

It's tempting. I need more sleep than I used to. But I am more vain than I am lazy, and I see the carnage all around me.

So, this fifty+ woman is going to go for a trail run, or to BootCamp. At the Y, of course.

Because that's what some old people do.

...

 

5 comments:

  1. Some "old" people buy a house in a golf cart community, fill the gold cart garage with bikes, and get up at four to go to the gym or pool, or jump on those bikes, or run the gold cart trails before the sun is up, and still get to work by 7 a.m. This old person needs to retire soon so she can spend more time just being OLD! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!

    I've had a Y membership for my entire life (even before my parents were 50), but maybe that's what Midwestern people do. :) You're definitely living the kind of 50 I want for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have that jar opener helper. It just cracks the seal so pickle jars are easier to open. It is a niftly thing, like the sliders to move furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the "devices" that you have chosen to use. They will make you much happier than the others. Happy Birthday!!! Now that you have hit your goal (50 and healthy), what's next? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:59 AM

    Congrats on your BIGHORN race!

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...