1) Home Gym. Is awesome. Mind you, we bought nothing, we'd collected this stuff over the years: a stability ball, bands, dumbbells, weight bench, treadmill, trainers...an industrial fan, mini fridge, many workout and training DVDs. But now it's consolidated in the garage with the TV and DVD player from the guest room. No cable. (Yet.)
Ahhhh. The life of the empty nest couple is a spoiled, wonderful life!!
(You may commence with the hate and envy)
I thought it was all healed up, but then Tuesday when I was pushing my foot down into a shoe--OWWWWWW. Ankle does not want to be maneuvered in any way. Swelling is gone, but no trails for me until at least a week AFTER it stops hurting. (And thanks - I've been stretching my archilles every day.)
3) Circuits and Strength training. I downloaded some workouts from fitsugar.com, On my no running days, I cross-train: walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes, then 2 sets of the 3 resistance/strength-building exercises, walk another 10 minutes, and then do 2 sets of the next 3 exercises, and so on...while a movie is playing. I like circuits; they break up the time. So does an old movie.
4) My running plan. New training started this week. I get my run plans generated here. I'm jogging easy for now, on the treadmilll.
5) Shoulders and arms endurance. Strength training is becoming a big part of my weight loss and training and ankle recovery plan. On the treadmill, I use 1 pound weights in each arm. I need to build up my endurance for swinging my arms for 9....10....14....hours. I alternate 1-minute of punching and doing bicep curls as I go (on the treadmill.). The 1-minute wil increase to 2, and so on. I use low weights, lots of reps.
6) Dreadmill. Raise the incline to a 3, and it will shorten your stride and take the stress off the front of your legs. Also, you can do walking lunges on a treadmill.
7) Thought for the day.
If you want your life to be a magnificent story, then begin by realizing that you are the author and every day you have the opportunity to write a new page. Mark Houlahan
8) Weight. 169 still, probably because I haven't done much in 3 weeks except walk a bit (Recovery from Palo Duro, Ankle twist) Ideally, I'd like to be at 150 when I toe the start line at my first 100-miler, but if I get down to 160, I'll know my body is at least serious about losing weight, and I'll sign up.
(Note how I put all the responsibility anthropomorphically onto my body, not my crappy willpower).
On the plus side, I just put my size 14 jeans away, and took out my size 12s.
9) Oral Fixation. Does anyone but me have a weird cat that nurses on clothes? You'd think after 8 years of living with this cat I'd be used to how weird she is, but--no.
10) New shoes. Since New Balance betrayed me by redesigning their shoes, I'm trying a new one (Asics). Some day, when my ankle heals, I'll get to wear them again. (Sigh.)
11) Work. I've been working for free. I didn't go to college to work for free. I've decided I'll probably return to teaching 'till I'm done with social work school. The upside to this is more amusing stories.
12) Teaching. Full time work and full time school doesn't leave a lot of time. We'll see. I may have to put off my first hundred-miler, even if I do make my self-imposed weight limit by December 31st. In fact, I'm not even sure I can pull off Ironman training for St. George on May 1st.
13) Bucket list. Despite all my rantings about how I will never go back to Alabama, there is this one trail run that I simply must do before I die. Not only is it very close to where my sister lives, but the race website actually claims that the trail is unmolested. Seriously. How can I avoid an opportunity to molest a trail? i ask you. SRSLY. MO. LEST. a Trail.
I'm sitting here, looking out the window. I did 3 miles this morning. Big whoop. After recovering from CDiff last month, I got a cold...
Ahhh. That crispness in the air. The blueness of the sky! Can you see it? Can you feel it?? IT'S MARATHON SEASON! So, my friend ...
Dear diary, is anyone out there? it doesn't take a genius to notice the rapid decline in the number of posts on this blog in the pas...
Even though I was in awful shape in 2016 I was still stubborn and foohardy...so I spent a year running down whatever fitness base I had left...