Last week I went to see Denist #2, and endodontist, last week. Dentist #2 took the time to numb me up with a heeyooge needle before saying that he could not save the three teeth that had planned root canals. After dentist #2 said this, he said that I needed to have them pulled and get dental implants. I went back to dentist #1, who then referred me to dentist #3: an oral surgeon
- Pros: no root canals, which are expensive. Painful.
- Cons: implants. Otherwise known as IMPLANT$.
My plan was to get the consult, set up a time for the extraction, and then go to work. I decided I would have the teeth pulled on a Thursday, because I won't be allowed to run for 48 hours after a triple tooth extraction. I don't run on fridays. Right? Right. So, I would take a day off work and stock up on protein shakes, since you can't suck anything through a straw and I won't want to chew for at least a day.
You know, I feel much better when my world is carefully planned. I don't like surprises. I avoid them whenever possible. I like my world carefully and tightly controlled so that it happens just the way I expect it to. Work can be crazy and unpredictable, and that's okay. But outside of work: predictability. I like things to be within my control.
Having told you this, you know that they won't be.
So obviously, I got a call at work.
- Hello, is this Misty?
- I'm just calling to confirm your appointment for tomorrow.
- Be sure to bring your x-rays.
- Got it.
- And a referral letter that you have from your dentist.
- I think he faxed it to you.
- Good. And remember--no eating or drinking after midnight tonight.
- Yep. Wait. What?
- And be sure to bring someone to escort you home.
- Escort me home? No. Wait. What? I run in the mornings. And I can't have even water?
- Because of the anesthesia.
- The...the what? I thought this was a consult?
- Oh no. If he decides the tooth--
- --need to be pulled, then he'll do that right then.
- Really. See you tomorrow at 8! She said this just a bit too brightly, before hanging up.
WAS AT THE DENTIST THIS MORNING.
KNOCK AT YOUR OWN PERIL.
I'm having some wine, cheese and crackers right now, since this might be the last thing I eat for about 24 hours.