Last week I went to see Denist #2, and endodontist, last week. Dentist #2 took the time to numb me up with a heeyooge needle before saying that he could not save the three teeth that had planned root canals. After dentist #2 said this, he said that I needed to have them pulled and get dental implants. I went back to dentist #1, who then referred me to dentist #3: an oral surgeon
- Pros: no root canals, which are expensive. Painful.
- Cons: implants. Otherwise known as IMPLANT$.
My plan was to get the consult, set up a time for the extraction, and then go to work. I decided I would have the teeth pulled on a Thursday, because I won't be allowed to run for 48 hours after a triple tooth extraction. I don't run on fridays. Right? Right. So, I would take a day off work and stock up on protein shakes, since you can't suck anything through a straw and I won't want to chew for at least a day.
You know, I feel much better when my world is carefully planned. I don't like surprises. I avoid them whenever possible. I like my world carefully and tightly controlled so that it happens just the way I expect it to. Work can be crazy and unpredictable, and that's okay. But outside of work: predictability. I like things to be within my control.
Having told you this, you know that they won't be.
So obviously, I got a call at work.
- Hello, is this Misty?
- I'm just calling to confirm your appointment for tomorrow.
- Be sure to bring your x-rays.
- Got it.
- And a referral letter that you have from your dentist.
- I think he faxed it to you.
- Good. And remember--no eating or drinking after midnight tonight.
- Yep. Wait. What?
- And be sure to bring someone to escort you home.
- Escort me home? No. Wait. What? I run in the mornings. And I can't have even water?
- Because of the anesthesia.
- The...the what? I thought this was a consult?
- Oh no. If he decides the tooth--
- --need to be pulled, then he'll do that right then.
- Really. See you tomorrow at 8! She said this just a bit too brightly, before hanging up.
I'm having some wine, cheese and crackers right now, since this might be the last thing I eat for about 24 hours.