Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A brief flirt with the "I want a baby" syndrome.

I got to see my new nephew for the first time last night. This was satisfying, because although I have one grandchild, I see her rarely. Then the baby, who I will call CJ even though I'm pretty sure his parents will hate it, threw up and all went home. I'd forgotten how cute, cuddly, and earnest babies are. I asked Husband if having a cute baby around made him wish we had one, and he replied, "I see lots of things that are cute, but that doesn't mean I want them in my house". Good point. I feel that way about ferets.

Now, before you accuse me of being anti-child, know that I have three children. I have my youngest (age 14) still at home, but he walks upright, feeds and burps himself. For this I am grateful. He's a good kid. I have a daughter, 18, who is currently trying to decided between the mental health industry or medicine. My oldest, a son is stationed at Ft. Bliss, and trying to decide what to do next. El Paso is also where my grandchild is. I don't think D-I-L cares for me much, so I don't get to see my granddaughter often.

It's amazing that I ever had children. I was practically an only child, with my sister being 9 years older. I don't share well, and I don't like people touching my stuff. (Come to that, it's amazing I'm a teacher: I have a giant office where 90 people tromp through daily and not only do they touch my stuff, but they wipe gum on it and throw trash on the floor. But I digress.) I was also looking around at how child-un-friendly my home it is. Lots of glass and things at floor level. Cats, who attack everything that moves. A baby would wreak havoc, and upset the cats. In 13 years a baby would start eating all my favorite cereal, telling me that I'm full of it and where to get off. I'm pretty sure at age 53 that is not what I want to hear. What I'd like to hear at age 53 is something like, "My grandma is so cool. She runs in triathlons, watches Southpark, and curses."

On a similar subject, I've been reviewing a book for potential clients about parenting a teenage girl. It's called, "When we're in public, pretend you don't know me".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...