There are several reasons to be nervous about tomorrow's 50K in Palo Duro Canyon:
1) I haven't done a long run since the New Mexico Marathon on August 31st.
2) I have the mysterious, now-you-feel-it-now-you-don't injury that isn't there, on my left shin. But is. Right now, I don't feel it. I did this morning. Now I don't. No, wait--there it is.
3) The last "extended" kind of event that I did was over a month ago.
4) I've gained 12 pounds total in the last couple of months. So I'm feeling very fat and needy. And kinda whiney.
Ook. Okay, some reasons to feel good about tomorrow:
1) I'm still stubborn; that hasn't changed.
2) I have 11.5 hours to finish.
3) I'm Iron Misty, the GeekGirl, dammit.
4) It's PRACtically SEA level.
5) When you are this far west in your time zone, sunrise is later than if you are on the eastern edge of your tone zone. Accordingly, sunrise tomorrow is about 8 am. Oops. The race starts at 7 am. Did I bring a headlamp? No. Did Baboo the magnificent? Yes.
So here's what I packed. I tend to pack lots of sports nutriton because as a back of the packer, I don't yet trust that most aid stations WON'T run out of food...I packed Honey Nut PowerBars, Power Gels (chocolate and orange tangerine), and Orange Nuun, which I'll carry in my hydration vest.
Race start will be about 45 degrees F, and the expected high is 72, although at the pre-race meeting they say that it could get as high as the low 80s. I'll be wearing my RaceRead Fitness shorts, my pink New Balance 768s, pink Injinji socks, DirtyGurl pink leopard gaiters, pink moeben sleeves, gloves, Patagonia bra/top, L/s running top, Garmin 305, and fleece headband. At race start, I'll be wearing my brooks hoodie, which I hope to leave in my drop bag.
Also in my drop bag: extra gels and power bars, extra top, shorts, socks, and shoes.
carrying: Tylenol (small bottle), ipod, SportsSlick, tp.
Breakfast: 2 "Breakfast to go" bars at 4 or 5 am, with a carmel machiato to wash it down. Then a power bar at 6 am.
So that's it, I guess. Race time is 7 am Texas time. Wootywoot!
Even though I was in awful shape in 2016 I was still stubborn and foohardy...so I spent a year running down whatever fitness base I had left...
if you hadn't noticed, I'm taking a bit of a break from blogging to pursue a new passion. Don't worry, I'm still doing ultra...
Dear Diary, It's 5 am and the wind is still. Fucking. Blowing. I'm not talking about a breeze rustling through the trees. We live...
Dear Diary, This month I learned stuff from doctors. Good stuff. Stuff I didn't know, and was surprised to learn. That doesn't...