Monday, January 26, 2009

Thought for the Day

Saw this on a movie about the Tahoe Rim Trail Ultra yesterday:


"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." (Emerson)



Also: Miss. Rachel gave me a fabulous blogger award:

RULES: list 5 things you're "addicted" to, then bestow the honor on five of your favorite bloggers.

My Five "Addictions" in no particular order:

1. Facebook Space Raiders - this is, admittedly, a pathetic thing to be addicted to. It serves no useful purpose, is not lovely, and does not make the world a better place.

2. True Crime. As in, I have Google alerts that notify me when something happens on a story I'm following. I'm especially fascinated by missing people, who then turn out to have been done away with by someone in their own household. They always get caught. It's just a matter of time. I get a distinct pleasure out of watching the process of them getting caught - ha. that'll serve you!

3. Sweet Baboo. When he's not around, I get bored, I eat all the wrong things, and I stay up too late, falling asleep in front of the TV. Everything's just off-kilter.

4. Gadgetry. I must, must, must at all times have a cell phone, garmin, and ipod with me. Even on my workouts. That way I'm connected, know where I am, and am enteretained. All at once. Yeah, I know. Loving the journey and all that, being mindful, shouldn't need music to feel the joy...Blah, blah, blah.

5. Coffee. "Stuff White People Like" notwithstanding, I like mine in the form of espresso (2x shot) with loads of Splenda and soy milk in it. Mmmm.

Five Fabulous Bloggers
Dread Pirate
21st century Mom
Trail Goddess
Run, Bitch, Run
Courtney




BTW, I'm signing up for the Tahoe Rim trail run. No headphones allowed. I'm heavily dependent on my music, as I mentioned above. Any suggestions (other than lectures about why I shouldn't wear headphones)?

...

5 comments:

  1. You might want to check out The True Crime Report. It's not my thing but I know the guy who maintains the site and it's a busy one. I'll be interested to see the suggestions people have for you on the no iPod/headphones issue. I am becoming ever more addicted to mine! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides hearing loss?

    Sorry- I'm a speech pathologist.
    Just had to.
    ;-0

    I guess when I am out on the trail I would rather hear the wind in my ears and possible rattles that belong to snakes...or mountain lions...little things like that.



    Tahoe Rim trail...sounds gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always talk to people. That might work. Personally I talk to myself if no victims are around.

    Here's a verse that you reminded me of with your quote.

    "For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises again" Proverbs 24:16

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll second the talk to someone idea. When I'm having a decent conversation the miles just fly by. Otherwise, I usually need my music too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes - The no headphones thing would be very challenging. I'll use a single ear bud occasionally if I need to be able to hear, but I'm not sure they'd allow that. I guess you could try chatting with those around you, but not sure how many people that would be...

    Maybe time to learn some new songs to sing...

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...