Well, because I have three special gifts, only one of which is relevant to this. That special gift is an almost pathological stubbornness when it comes to finishing what I've started. I paid an entry fee. I have to show up.
Last Saturday I did indeed head out on what was to be an epic "hill repeat" workout with *Courtney*. The plan for the day was three loops that involved going north on the boulevard near my house, which then turns west and drops about 1000 feet over 5 miles into the river valley, then return to start, which I call "the big grind" and repeat twice. With that, I figured I get three climbs in and about 70 miles.
Here's what actually happened:
Which, for us gals, pretty much guarentees we can't go out in public without getting a citation, much less get in a 15 mile run. No bra = no running, don't even try to argue that point with me. So, I spend the day wearing a soft shirt and working on sprinkler systems instead.
- Monday, I wore the same cycling top I got burned in to work, covered by a light shrug. Nobody noticed.
- Tuesday, I did nothing other than whimper, whine, and complain. Which is my 2nd special gift.
- Wednesday I did the last of Satan's spin class, and then did 1600 meters in the pool with paddles, then went to work. By Wednesday night, I was able to actually sleep on my back again.
- first thing in the morning, before eating, drinking, or breathing too much.
- if at all possible, after visiting le toilette.
- It doesn't hurt to be a bit dehydrated.
This weekend, I will try to get in 4 climbs over at the big grind. I'll try to also do that planned 15 mile run, or more if I feel like it. I'm not obsessive about my training like some people and like some other people, or even their friends but then again, they are much faster than me, so maybe they're right and I'm wrong. Maybe.
I'm not sure I'm going to do another Ironman after this year. The training is grueling and time-consuming and cuts into my TV watching time. We'll see.