Saturday, February 09, 2008

White Sands Duathlon Race Report

I did my first multisport event of 2008 this morning on a beautiful day in White Sands Missle Range in southern New Mexico. Officially, this is my 2nd race for the 2008 Southwest Challenge Series (SWCS) since it started with the Polar Bear Sprint Triathlon, I had posted previously about how points are tallied in the SWCS series. Last year, I managed to pull off being Athena Champion, and now I'm back having another go at it.

The 5K run goes out into the desert and back on a sandy unpaved trail, and I averaged a 10:19 pace, which is closer to the 10 minute pace I keep hoping to break every year. I was sucking wind, too, boy. Woo. WHOO. woo. WHOO. I gave it my all. I managed to inch past Helen for a brief, glorious 30 seconds or so and then she blew by me and I never saw her again. Left me in a cloud of dust, she did.
(Rationalization number 1: She's been doing this much longer than I. She's also much skinnier than I am.)

On the 30K bike, I averaged nearly 15 mph, which is pretty good considering I haven't been on my bike in nearly 3 months.

There was this one girl I was trying to catch because I thought she might be an Athena but as I worked harder and harder to catch her I really did feel like I was about to throw up, so I backed off.
(Rationalization number 2: she turned out not to be an Athena, and she's 10 years younger than I.)

Gotta have those little rationalizations if you want to stay healthy.

I'm still working on the one for the 65-year-old guy who soundly kicked my butt.

Oh, and I got to wear my cool new LG ROCKET aero helmet, which I LLLOOOVVVVVE. It passes the best test of all: I forgot I had it on.

Results:
I did it in 1:46:18, and was first Athena.
Mini-baboo got 1st place in the under 20 division, and Sweet Baboo got 2nd place in the 40-44 males.

Considering I ran 23 miles only 6 days ago, I'm happy with the results, but I've got a lot of work to do! So far in the series, I've got 17 points.

Here's my 2007 report on this race, which I did in 2:04:26.

Here's my 2006 report on this race, which I did in 1:58:28.

Tomorrow, a brisk 15-mile trail run north of Albuquerque.

1 week to the Black Warrior 50K.

...

14 comments:

  1. Great job out there by both you and S. Baboo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!! It's since to get started isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! Well done!! That's the kind of time (and helmet) that I want!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smokin'!

    But I'm thinking you might need a leetle more time in the saddle, girl - don't you have an IM in June?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a CHAMP!

    'nough said.

    Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't racing fun? Yay! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always, inspirational! I re-read your previous race reports. It is so cool that you have this journal to go back and see how far you have come. Your training blogs and race reports inspire me to keep getting out there even though I am slow and often last. Thank you!

    I recently ran the Jed Smith 30K. I was so shocked when they gave me a hat and said I was 3rd in my age group.

    When I checked the results I found that I could have taken a nap on the course and still placed 3rd, since there were only 3 in my age group.

    Oh well, I still got a free hat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. misty-you really have improved-that is awesome and will be thinking of you and brian in Al-er-bama next weekend..Can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, you sold me. I ordered one.

    Just so I could be fast like you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I'm super impressed! You're awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a big time jump from last year. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - that's a huge PR! Very nice work! You must be doing something righ tin your trainiong - it can't all be the helmet (although that certainly helps).

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...