Sunday, January 31, 2010

You should know.

I'm really simplifying this, but here goes.

Your brain develops throughout your life.  I develops by forming connections between the brain cells.  It forms connections based on experiences throughout life.  Most of the brain develops before you get to middle school.

But not all of it.

The brain develops from back to front, generally speaking.  The brain doesn't finish developing until you're about 21 or 22.  The very last part to develop is in the front, the frontal lobe.

I'll leave you determine how important the frontal lobe is: It's the part of the brain primarily responsible for planning, decision-making, impulse control, and rational thought.  When it is impaired, or not developed, sensory information gets routed through the emotional center of the brain.

So if you're been complaining lately that you're teenager seems to be operating with half a brain, you're partially right.  Actually, s/he's operating with about 9/10 of a brain.

Cheers, y'all.

5 comments:

  1. Fascinating.

    It seems I am still waiting for my frontal lobe to develop a the tender age of 43...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:15 PM

    I'd like to have a frntal lobe governor...that I can modify at my own whim...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are handy, those frontal lobes. Whenever I get a referral on someone with a diagnosis of "frontal lobe impairment" I always suck air through my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always thought that would be a good thing for parents to know, but it seems to get missed. How about adding to your parenting class :) Certainly was an "aha" moment for me when I learned about brain development...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice confirmation to know. My 16 year old has it totally missing at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...