13. LOOKISM. Oldest son, who is a computer science major and apparently Part-time Sith Lord. In his spare time, he plays world of warcraft. He dresses all in black, head to toe, and he's tall. I make small, motherly comments from time to time about grooming and clothing choices. So there's the set-up.
Now, he rides his bike and takes the bus. One day at the bus stop a car jumped the curb and hit him. He wasn't hurt, but he was knocked about 10 feet. No ill effects. A woman sitting next to him had a crushed leg. Afterwards, another woman approached him and said, "You saved my life, you know."
Puzzled, he asked how.
"Well, I was going to sit there next to you, but you looked kinda creepy, so I didn't. "
Moral of the story: Don't ever let anyone put you down because you don't look the way they think you should. You might just save someone's life.
12. OOF! Here is Saturday's run. It was designed by Himself, the Baboo. Of course.
|It is exactly as much fun as you think it would be.|
11. On said run (above) as I approached around where it says mile 8 - see up there, where it's nice and flat? (actually, it was mile 12) at that point on the trail, it was wide, smooth, and groomed. So of course, I went sprawling. I tripped over something, as it dawned on me that that my foot had not cleared that last log I was leaping over, and I had a lot of momentum behind me, I was thinking
10. SHOES. Last week I wrote about my new trail shoes. After 14 miles of very challenging trail, I didn't notice them. I'll be trying them on some flatter trails soon, but I have a good feeling about them. .
9. DAUGHTER arrived safely on the plane. Her self esteem is at a lifetime low; a notable happening for a girl who has always been bubbly, effusive, and giggly. But, the 2nd day after we arrived we went over to a local boutique that sells plus-sized clothing they offered her a deal: come in a model new arrivals on a Saturday and then get a nice discount on whatever she wants to buy.
She wasn't sure she wanted to do it, and I said, what's the worst that can happen? I also told her, nobody has ever asked me to model clothing. She brightened a bit, tentatively.
I hate to see that. She used to be wildly and inappropriately enthusiastic and everything and anything, even more wildly and inappropriately optimistic than myself. I hope I can help her get that back.
8. QUOTE: There are limits to what the human body can endure. Go find them. (Unknown).
7. JOY. Monday, I bagged up my running stuff and took it to work. After work, I went to where my night classes are 90 minutes early. Right next door to where I take my classes is a branch of the YMCA. I changed, and ran on a treadmill for an hour before class. Here are my observations:
- I forgot how sweaty you get running indoors. For Tuesday, I packed a sweatband.
- I felt self conscious in spandex shorts sitting in class. For Tuesday, I packed one of my running skirts.
- I was also COLD. For Tuesday, I packed a nice warm fleece hoodie.
- The high schooler who took the treadmill next to me could not run as long as I did. BOOyah.
- I was the only happy person in the classroom. Seriously. The teacher asked us for one word to describe our current mood, and the room was full of graduate students with calling out "stressed!" and "frustrated!". I called out "Happy!" and was the only one. Ah, the magic of a good run.
6. HOPE. Aside from being happy, I have new hope that I'll be able to stay up on my training during the spring.
5. FAITH. I believe I'll actually be able to finish the Jemez 50K in May. This is the one I had to ditch last year because after making the first climb up to about 9000 feet, I could go up any more and bailed and did the half. This year I'll finish it.
4. LOVE. When I wear my pink fuzzy robe, my gray tabby sits behind me and grooms me. I think that's the closest to love that a cat can express.
|And then for me, there's Fried K.|
This is not good. I'm getting too good at being bad. I think I'll have to leave my debit card at home so that I can't do that any more.
2. SLOTH. I gained two pounds during February, probably because I was recovering from Rocky and eating too much. But no worries: I'll make up for it on March 12th, when I run in the "Run Through Time" marathon in Salida, Colorado, on my 46th birthday. I'll finally have my Colorado marathon: state #11.
1. LUST. This: (from Skirt Sports). Gym Girl ultra in pink crush, and Wondergirl Tank.
I feel bad that guys don't get to buy cool stuff like this. The closest they come is maybe getting some stuff from Running Funky or Dirty Girl gators.
But then agani, they get all that testosterone and muscle, so maybe this makes it even.