Monday, January 21, 2008

Back in the game


Yesterday while the Great Sweet Baboo was running the Ghost Town 38.5 I finally got up off my butt and did some running of my own. I strapped on my hydration vest and my new ear warming headband with built-in headphones, and then I headed out on what wound up being about a 16 mile run south out of Hillsboro. I ran slowly, contemplatively, until I got to my turnaround point, and then I turned around and came back. It was gorgeous out. I forgot how much I missed this. It's been 2 weeks since my last long run and I had a great time.

I've figured out that if I run a circuitous loop, I'll cut it short. If I try to run more than one loop, I'll find an excuse to stop after the first one.

But, if I do a straight out and back, the half-way point happens while I'm still feeling good, and I have no choice but to find my way back. So, to short-circuit my own natural laziness I strap on 60 ounces of water, a little over half a dozen goos, a couple power bars just to be safe, my cell phone, inhaler, and my tunes. Then, I have me a workout. Next Sunday, since I did a marathon not long ago, I'll bump it up to 20 miles.

Once a week, I'll do a several-mile "speedwalk" with the Baboo. Another day I'll do 6-8 mile run in my neighborhood, and on another day, 5-6 mile run. 2 evenings of spin. No time for swimming during this month. Lots of hills, hills, hills.

My goal: to be able to run 31 miles "before dark" after starting at 7 am in Northern Alabama on Presidents' Day weekend.

3 weeks, 5 days to the Black Warrior 50K.

...

12 comments:

  1. way to get back into the swing of things. Have you ever done the Shiprock Marathon? I'm thinking about doing it.

    I, too like to avoid doing loops were you can quit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thinking! I mainly do big circles that you can't cut short. Must mix some out-and-back in there

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have! I've looked at the shiprock marathon and definitely want to do it. It's a great time of year and a really interesting course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also avoid loops or ever running near my house/car. Good run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on ya, Misty! :D

    I'm the same way. Get me away from the house and don't let me anywhere near it. I'll carry, then stash, water bottles along the route so I don't have the excuse of coming back to the house for more fuel. Otherwise I'll never get going again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer loops, long or short, and haven't yet bailed out on a planned run. I have lots of options for drinks with several stores in the area, although I prefer my homemade Gatorade (still working on the actual recipe but it involves Kool-Aid). Not sure if I'll ever need a belt or hydration pack, but we'll see.

    Nice new tag for your running posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:51 PM

    WTG. Another feather in your cap to buoy you along that 50k.

    ReplyDelete
  8. W-A-Studette! On a whim, running 16 miles....wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it's hard to get out there, isn't it? And then it can be so beautiful. I'm impressed with your mileage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm amazed at how much much your running now. You've really made some great improvements

    ReplyDelete
  11. How in the world you and baboo have run so much and not suffer from Plantar like I do is just amazing!!! Great job to both of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How in the world you and baboo have run so much and not suffer from Plantar like I do is just amazing!!! Great job to both of you!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...