Wednesday, January 18, 2006

How much is too much?

News story: Exercise boosts immunity. http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-01-17-exercise-immunity_x.htm
I KNEW I wasn't imagining things. I always get sick starting in October (I work in a school, also known as a germ factory, after all) but I haven't been sick at all except for a cold during December. Jeff Galloway hypothesizes that running brings up your core temperature, which acts as a "fever" that kill off pathogens. Whatever the reason, I've been much healthier this fall. I like this story because I like to take it easy, and they recommend against endurance running. Hmmm. I have to think about that, though, because I plan to do a couple half mary's this year and a half iron distance.
I accompanied Husband to the Ghosttown 38.5, in which they are dropped off at the start line in the middle of nowhere (Nutt, New Mexico) and then run to Kingston by way of Hillsboro. We stayed at a B&B at the finish line, which I highly recommend, but don't take the last room they have available, because the upstairs ones are much nicer. A more accomodating couple I have never met. I met Husband at the 10, 20, and 30 mile markers, and then went back to the B&B to get bags of ice ready. I left Kingston and ran down about 4 miles to meet him and come back with him. The wind was horrid - funneling right down through the mountains pushing against us, even when walking. Afterwards, I nursed Husband with veggie brats, potato salad, and carrots. I don't know if I'll do this ultramarathon next year. I'm not all that inclined, and I don't see the point, but if he wants to do it I'll come along again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...