Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Back to training, another new goal.

It's been almost two weeks since Soma, and I'm surprised at how slow my recovery was.

First, I had to wait for the usual swelling to go down (no matter how often Sweet Baboo reminds me that it will happen, and no matter how many times it does happen, it's still disconcerting to basically run my butt off for nearly 8 hours and then immediately GAIN six pounds, after particularly grueling endurance events).

Second, it took over a week before my legs didn't feel oh, so tired.

Last week was kind of a bummer week - I had all this free time, as it was recovery week, and wasn't quite sure what to do with it. It was nice not to get up early and run every day, but on the other hand, it felt unnatural.

At work, it was back to business as usual. It always seems so quiet and weird after a major event. There are no more acalades at work. The other teachers, as well as my 8th-graders, are used to the whole endurance events thing, and are no longer impressed. They have accepted that I am completely insane, but as long as I teach and don't scare the kids, they don't care.

My next event is going to be the Polar Bear sprint triathlon at WSMR the first week of December. This is the first triathlon of the 2007 Southwest Challenge Series, and I'm signing up as an age-grouper.

That's right. age. grouper.

Now that the post-Soma swelling is gone, I've been consistently around 153 pounds each morning, and I'm just now beginning my marathon training plan. (I'm almost in the "normal" range for my height. woohoo! )

So now, 10 days out from the Soma half IM, I'm just now feeling like I'm back in running form. The first long run I did on Sunday, a week out, was--ugh--slowwwww. My left hamstring was bothering me a little, too. I actually think my new shoes are too tight.

So, it's back to the training grind. I'm into my training plan for my first full marathon in January, the ROCK-N-ROLL ARIZONA. Basically, I'll be running four days every week, gradually increasing up to about 42 miles a week before tapering. Whew.

Sweet Baboo is doing rock-n-Roll with me. The Jonster, the kid formerly known as Mini-me, demanded to be allowed to do the marathon as soon as he heard there were 40 cheerleading squads on the course. Unfortunately, at age 15, he can only do the half-mary, but it will be his first. I checked with his cross country coaches and they both agree that he can safely do this, so it will be a family event.

...

3 comments:

  1. I hope to some day be an age grouper as well and lose my Athena status. I'm in the plateau from hell, though, so I'm not holding out much hope for the near future.

    Even if your students and co-workers are no longer impressed, I am! Good luck with the marathon training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AGE GROUPER!!! WHoo-hoo! That's high-mileage! I haven't seen that kind of mileage accumulaton since 1985! (for me!) Go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Nytro and I are doing the Rock n' Roll AZ too! Nytro is doing the half. I'm not sure which I will do. I'd better decide soon though. I've heard a rumor of another blogger that may make an apperance too. But I can't say until I know for sure. Cool. Maybe this time we can actually visit for a little while. Nice job on the age grouper status. Just keep on going girl.

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...