Sunday, November 12, 2006

Thinking positive thoughts.

Today I leapt back into marathon training, in earnest. As with any long run, it's a time when my thoughts flow freely from one subject to the next. Today, I was thinking about people that piss me off.

Then I started thinking about reframing things; in teaching, we try to "catch" children doing something good, so that we can encourage good behavior instead of only paying attention to the bad behavior.

With that in mind, I'd like to thank anyone and everyone who did any of the following this week. Give yourself a pat on the back if you did any of these:
  • Thank you for using the proper container to throw away your waste.
  • Thank you for staying to the right, and passing on the left, whether you did it on the highway, in triathlon, or in a hallway.
  • Thank you for cleaning up after your dog. Or your horse. Or your child.
  • Thank you for bringing a leash. And using it.
  • Thank you for parking your large vehicle in an appropriate spot, instead of one that says "compact car."
  • Thank you for telling me I looked great when you passed me in the race.
  • Thank you for staying and cheering on the other finishers.
  • Thank you for fixing that hole in your muffler.
  • Thank you for taking the baby out of the theater when he got hungry and started crying.
  • Thank you for stopping and asking me if I was okay when I tripped and fell on my face today on the Montano bridge.
  • Thank you for holding the door open for someone else.
  • Thank you for offering someone your seat.
  • Thank you for volunteering.
  • Thank you for smiling at me, and telling me to have a nice day.
  • Thank you for for thanking the volunteers, instead of yelling at them.
  • Thank you for asking that cyclist if they needed help changing their tire.
  • Thank you for letting that other car in front of you in traffic.
  • Thank you for postphoning your phone call when you were in public.
  • Thank you for thinking of others instead of your 'rights'.
  • Thank you for stepping away from the doors with your cigarettes, so others didn't have to walk through a cloud of smoke.
  • Thank you for repeating yourself to someone who couldn't hear well, instead of saying, "oh, never mind."
  • Thank you for telling me I looked nice.
  • Thank you for trying to make someone's day brighter.
  • Thank you for trying to make someone's life easier.
  • Thank you for trying to be healthier.
...

1 comment:

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...