Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sunday LR

Today's Objective: unsupported long run of 16.8 miles (the route that Sweet Baboo has mapped out for me), which is longer than I've ever run in my whole sad, couch-potato life. In particular, I have to take everything along with me, since there's no source of anything along the route. Not even bathrooms.

The weather: 38 degrees in the valley, warming to 55 during the run.

The strategy: Bring my own stuff, and alternate 10 minutes running with 5 minutes walking. During each walk, take one shot of gel from a flask and 3 mouthfuls of hydration.

The stuff:
Results:
Success. I got a little tired toward the end, as this run was a tiny bit longer than I'd anticipated, but I never got thirsty, and I never bonked, and my weight stayed the same. My feet don't hurt, but my left hammy aches a tiny bit. I did it in 3:50. Afterward, I was famished! I had a large iced tea lemonaid, large protein smoothie, bowl of potatoes, and some vegan sausages.

Next week: 18 or 19 miles. I may be trying homemade energy gel from Ellie's recipe. There's also this recipe, this recipe, or this recipe. I'll keep you posted.

...

7 comments:

  1. Oh man! I could never get through that without going to the bathroom... or shouldn't I ask? :)

    Nice job on the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't say I didn't go, I said there were no bathrooms. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on the run!

    LOL at the comments about no bathrooms. Yesterday I stopped once back at home in the middle of my 2.5 hr bike ride announcing that I had to pee and it was too cold to use a bush. My kids gasped in horror...Mom, do you really do that?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dood - I saw the Sweet Baboo on the trail, but didn't see you! Just so you don't feel dissed, I would have totally said Hi if I had seen you! Were you in disguise?

    Good job on the run by the way - you did really good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on the run. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. - we're totally doing the Turkey Trek. I'm bringing My People, they're doing their first race!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Killer run!

    But I'm worried about you... is it time for a toe-sock intervention? I think you might be addicted. :-P

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...