Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Store clerks and cheesecloth.

This isn't about nutrition or anything like that, it's just a general it's-almost-Thanksgiving-and-Mom's-gone-insane kind of rant. Store clerks are also part of this.

What the hell is the deal with cheesecloth?

About a year or so ago, I was cleaning out my pantry, and I came across a package of cheesecloth. My mom had always kept some in her pantry, so I kept some in mine, and the unopened package had been in there forever. I couldn't fathom why I would ever actually use it, aside from making cheesecloth ghosts, so I tossed it.

Now, of course, I come across recipes about every week that require it, and I can't ever seem to find it, so I usually abandon the idea of making the thing.

The latest one is one that I really want to make, so I headed to the local Sprawl mart to get it. I wondered up and down the baking isle until I found a clerk, and asked him where I might find it.

He stared at me blankly, and then every thing he said after that was punctuated with a question mark. "What is 'cheesecloth'"?

"It's um, well, it's really loosely woven fabric. I think they used to make cheese with it, but now it's used in cooking. Baking."

"Maybe it's in the baking area?"

Together we stared at the baking area, which I had already checked, and found that indeed, in the last 2 minutes, nobody had put any cheese cloth there.

"Maybe it's in the cheese area?"

Sigh.

I went to work and asked the home ec teacher and she said, "Oh, honey, you have to get that where they keep the paints."

Oh, of course! The paints! Why didn't I think of that? Silly me.

%&()@)$!

So, tomorrow, I'm headed to 1) The gym for a swim, 2) hardware store, to get cheese cloth and, while I'm at it, the last part of the project that is Sweet Baboo's Christmas present, and 3) Sunflower Market, to find out how much per pound the soy protein powder is since I can't find my receipt. I tried calling to ask how much it was, and was told, "well don't sell that here."

"Yes, yes you do, I just bought some yesterday."

"Oh, really? hey, do you remember how much it was?"

Sigh.

then, I'm headed home to begin preparing the holiday feast. My oldest son is coming home from the Army to spend thanksgiving with us. I haven't seen him in almost 2 years. My youngest son is wildly excited, as he has grown nearly a foot since then and is intent on challenging Oldest son to all manner of athletic contests. Number 1 son can't leave the base until 5 am and is taking a bus, so we actually won't have our Thanksgiving until Friday.

after I'm done with today's craziness, then I'll be posting part II of my nutrition compendium. part 2 will be on electrolytes.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...