Tuesday, June 03, 2008

How do you plan for an ironman?

Today I'm mostly thinking in print. So how do you plan for an Ironman? Well, if you're not incredibly lazy, you train more than me. But I, of course, am lazy. So here's my totals:

May's totals ....................2008 totals (so far)
Bike: - 282.5 Mi..................... 1042.1 Mi
Run: - 84.29 Mi.......................368.48 Mi
Swim: - 7430 M (4.4 mi)......20730 M (12.5 mi)

These days, I waver between feeling excitement and dread, and worry and confidence. It's a hell of a rollercoaster. And like all rollercoasters, it nauseates me. Erp.
And even though my training has been far less than it should be, it's far more than my training last year. Yyyesssss, that's right. This year I was sorta lazy, but last year I was lazy SQUARED and i paid the price. I finished, but if they hadn't extended the cutoff I would not have. So I'm counting on this training thing coming through for me.

So here's how the planning breaks down, after the cannon goes of at 7am on June 22nd.

SWIM: At IM-LooAvul I swam in 1:31, and I'm fine with this. I will probably be a bit slower this year because the water will about 20 degrees colder. I'll be wearing whatever neoprene is allowed, and I'm confident about beating the cutoff at 9:20 am.

T1: At IM-LooAvul this took about 11 minutes. I should be able to knock about 5 minutes off this. I'll be pulling on cycling shorts, into which has been smooshed a LOT of Baby Aveeno and Sports Slick, a sleeveless jersey, arm warmers, thick cycling socks. Sunscreen applied to my shoulders and arms and nose. Sunglasses.

The Bike: My nemesis. This is what will make or break me. At At IM-LooAvul my bike time was 8:55. 8:55, and the bike cutoff is 5 pm. I've got to take about 45 minutes off my time. yikes. The weather at IM-LooAvul was mid-nineties with about 70%+ humidity. IM-CDA is supposed to be cooler - by as much as 15 degrees - and drier.
Nutrition: My nutrition at IM Loo worked, so I'm not going to change that. De-fizzed coke and three SportLegs capsules at mile 0 and mile 56. Gatorade the rest of the time. 2 Fig Newtons at mile 0, 30, 60, 90 with plain water.

T2: At IM-LooAvul, this was 20 minutes, because I sat down and cried. Think I'll avoid that this time. I'll change to a long-sleeved meshy long-distance running shirt, RaceReady Long Distance Fitness Shorts, of course the insanely sexy Injinji socks, my NB768s, and my Garmin.

The Run: The part I'm worried about least. The bike cutoff is 5 pm, after which I'll have 7 hours to finish the marathon. At IM-LooAvul, I did the marathon in 6:20, when it was hotter and much more humid. I'll be carrying my inhaler, SportLegs, and blister bandaids. I'll also be carrying a hand-held water bottle. My Garmin will chime every minute.
Nutrition: Same as IM-LooAvul, coke with ice and SportLegs capsules at mile 0 and 13. Powergels every 2 miles. Gatorade throughout.

So that's the plan, i guess. I'll be fine-tuning it over the next couple weeks.
Goal: Finish before midnight.

...

13 comments:

  1. I hate it when I'm lazy squared....
    You sound like you have a solid finish plan - we'll be watching for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will we be able to track you online again? I remember logging on to the Iron Man site and seeing that you were going to make it last time. I don't even know you, but I was so psyched for you. Go GeekGirl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go get 'em, girl! Have fun out there! We'l be cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a plan!! I would have no clue since I am just getting started with running it is awesome to see the prep that goes into one of these races.

    Your before/after pics are amazing!!! Seriously, good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, they still have online tracking, and the video feed. They haven't issued bib numbers yet, but that should be coming soon, and as soon as I know, you'll know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these kinds of posts. Thanks!

    Why will your Garmin be chiming every minute during the run?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you have a plan.

    If my Garmin beeped at me every minute, I'd probably throw it on the ground and stomp on it. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! No Nuun tablets this year? I think you are the one who got me addicted to these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been lurking here for a few weeks now. Jumped here from RBR. I just wanted to let you know that as I read your posts about IM, I am wavering between fear and excitement as well. But mostly excitement, with butterflies in my stomach. Like I'm the one who's doing this... WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am checking out some of those products! You've got the plan.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:44 PM

    You're gonna do great! I bet the cooler weather will make a huge difference.

    lazy squared...that's funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The plan is great and your execution will be exceptional which will make the day at IMCDA priceless. You give me goosebumps with the excitment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woot, woot! I am so excited and nervous for you all. I know that you can do it! I will be cheering really hard for you all day (in Nebraska) but cheering none the less.

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...