Monday, June 12, 2006

And that's my final word, I think.

Six years ago Husband first brought the idea of a triathlon to my attention. We were still in graduate school, and I hadn't heard of them. He thought it sounded "fun." After he explained what one was, I stared at him and said, "Whatever, dude. I will NEVER do anything that is that much work. And I never run."

July of last year, after watching him run a few, I thought to myself, "Maybe I could do this. If it was completely flat. I'd never do one with hills." I started teaching myself how to run, and then ran the Cotton Country Sprint two months later. Slowlllly. But I finished it. Then I did some with hills.

Then in October of last year, I ran the 5K "fun run" at the Duke City Marathon, while Husband ran the half-marathon. I laughed at his happy, flushed face afterward. "I'm glad you enjoyed that, because I will never, ever want to run 13.1 miles."

I did my first half-marathon six weeks later, on the spur of the moment, and my second one in January of 2006.

This summer I'm psyching myself up for the Tri-Raider on June 24th. It has a 500 meter open water swim, three hills on the bike that range from 6.7% to 8.9% grade, then the usual 5K run. I've climbed them before, at the Buffman and Squeaky, but it's hotter now, I won't have Husband waiting at the end, to give me my post race hug, because he's doing the Buff Springs Half-iron. So, I'm a little nervous. To psych myself up, I'm reading "The Mental Edge." I've also read, "The Courage to Start," which I HIGHLY recommend.

I'm also reading "Ultra-marathon Man: Confessions of An All Night Runner, " but that one is just for fun. because I'll NEVER do anything that is that much work...

3 comments:

  1. LOL... it's a disease, and aparently it's contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found Ultra Marathon man really inspring...in a crazy puke-inducing sorta way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of new things.... Time for you to take a bike maintenance course! It doesn't keep you from breaking down, but it does keep you from being worried about it, or thrown for a loop if it happens!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...