I'm somewhere in the middle, and this morning I decided to experiment with the revelation that I burn through carbs like a hummingbird. (Why I have such a big butt, given this fact, is a mystery to me, but it may have something to with that fact that I eat a lot of fat. A LOT. My mom also had a big butt. The gift that keeps on giving: My mother's big butt. )
- On April 22 I ran 10.46 miles in 2:22:03 with a pace of 13:34 minutes/mile.
- Today, I ran 9.28 miles in 1:57:17, for an average pace of 12:38 minutes/mile.
I was gratified to find that each drop in pace was immediately followed by a drop in heart rate. My heart's getting pretty good at dropping quickly when I stop moving.
1. A more concentrated source of carbs is needed. I'll try GU's because they're worked well for me before, and include electrolytes.
2. I am, finally, getting faster, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully I won't start having "knee trouble" as a result.
3. "Gold Digger" is an awesome running song. Not very PC, but a great running song.