Saturday, September 08, 2007

curious things


  • Pajama pants in public. This used to be a sign of clinical depression or homelessness; now it's a sign of...what? Casual ineptitude? Trendiness? I just don't know.
  • Loose tea in a tea bag. I saw this at the airport. I hate to nitpick, but if it's in a tea bag, it's not loose tea any more. It's a tea bag. But this stuff says, "Loose tea experience - in a convenient tea bag!" All for $6.99.

A haiku, in honor of my mini-break weekend:

  • Hot and sweaty place
  • Sucks the life right outta me
  • Damn, I hate Dallas.

Sweet Baboo is at a clinic to become a USAT racing official here in Dallas, and then will practice at the PrairieMan tomorrow. My daughter lives here, but so far contact has been a comedy of errors as she has somehow made her only phone non-operational, and left me one message referring constantly to "this number" as in "Just call me back at this number" without ever telling me what, "this number" was. She called while my cell phone was off, too, so there's no "this number" on my caller ID.

I went for a run this morning with Sweet Baboo out at Joe Pool lake, host to tomorrow's Prairie Man Half Iron Tri, which AndraSue is running in. There signs all over the park and around the lake about the event. The lady at the toll booth asked for $10 to get into the park. When we asked if people would be allowed to go in and drive the course, she said, "Prairie man? What's that? I don't know what that is."

I blurted out, "What? You've got signs all over the park!" and she repeated drily and without humor that she didn't know what that was and again asked for $10. VERY unlike Texas, where most people are at least sweet and apologetic when they take your money. Plus, I mean, if you went to work and there were signs all over the place advertising a major event, wouldn't you at some point say to a coworker, hey, what or who is "the Prairie Man?"

When I did my run, I remembered why I don't live in Dallas any more. Running? Fuggetaboutit. It never would have happened. My eight-mile run was awful. I was diappointed because I LOVE running at sea level; I feel all fast and stuff. But it was hot, and it was humid, and my heartrate would NOT COME DOWN. Ugh. So I was soaked, tired, and panting. Sweet Baboo said that means I'm still recovering fro IMLoo.

My hat is off to Greyhound and a host of other people who do their training in really humid places. Yikes. I've said before that I hate the feeling of sweat rolling down any part of me; I would do insane here. I'd have to have cotton balls tucked all over my body and sweat bands around the rest just to get away from it.

Before you get all excited and think, "mmm, sexy sweaty triathlete!" let me assure you that is not what I'm all about. Your imagination thinks this:



But in reality, it was more like this:



Later on we're going to have dinner with AndraSue, who is doing the Prairie Man tomorrow as her first half, and her baboo (notice the lower case; only my Sweet Baboo gets capitalized on my blog)

....

10 comments:

  1. What? When you sweat you turn into a great big muscly black man? Wow - I must stick around for that more often.

    Have fun in tejas, say hello to the locals, y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I tried puttig "sweaty old woman" into a search engine for images but really didn't get anything I could post publicly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I fully understand. You are an accomplished triathlete who trains like a mad women, and doesn't like to sweat? How do you accomplish that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh GG, That was just too funny! Pirate just added the exclamation point. You're probably getting extra humity due to Gabrielle--supposed to be lots of rain in TX today.
    The "party" post was spot on. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See what happens when I don't pay attention! I was just IN DALLAS! and had din-din w/Andra Sue... We could have all had dinner together! dammit!!! sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally LOVE you!!
    LOL You're the best!
    BTW - I'm with you on the "loose tea" in a tea bag!! Now that is marketing at it's best - playing on just how truly stupid they(marketing execs) really think people are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Loose tea in a tea bag."

    Speaking as a dedicated tea drinker with nearly 20 kinds in my pantry right now (and that's after giving away a chunk of it when I got pregnant)... omg. It's like a Stupid People Detection Kit. I am DYING to know how many people actually fall for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pajama pants in public is a signature look for me.

    And yes, it reeks of tiredness and homelessless but also can be a sign of a person who either wears business suits OR running clothes and figures if she is not at the office or training, she is pretty close to going to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pajama pants in public is a signature look for me.

    And yes, it reeks of tiredness and homelessless but also can be a sign of a person who either wears business suits OR running clothes and figures if she is not at the office or training, she is pretty close to going to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're hilarious. I don't get the pj thing either, but then again, I hated flip-flops in public thing and now I wear them all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...