Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Obsess much?

I read somewhere recently that, "runners tend to be very rigid, schedule-oriented people" and, "triathletes are often obsessive people, consumed with details". I wonder if this is true? For the past couple days I've had off, I've been obsessing over my training schedule for the next six months. I'm determined to dramatically increase/improve my performance. So much so that I'm googling potential competitors to see if how much they've improved, finding out what they do (so that I can determine the liklihood of them showing up at certain races) and whether or not I'm likely to beat them, if they do. Loading times and such into spreadsheets.

Hmmm. Am I approaching this in the spirit of sportsmanship. I feel like some kind of robot, obsessed with PR's and other such numbers (VO2 max, lactate threasholds, et cetera). I want to be certain that I keep enjoying myself, and that I don't push myself too hard or take it too personally when I don't do as well as I'd planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...