Wednesday, May 17, 2006

What a week.

Holy cow, this week is just dragging by. Eighth- graders do not get more mellow as the year closes, and now they are absolutely hyper. I decided, why fight it, so we're doing group projects all this week and watching some Bill Nye science videos. Summer cannot come fast enough. I've got my summer training plan all figured out, and I want to get going on it!!

This weekend I have my first Olympic distance triathlon, and I'm more than a bit nervous. First off, I've developed a nagging cough in the past 48 hours. Okay, well, coughs can be supressed. But then yesterday, I walked out a little-used side door at work and the sidewalk wasn't where I expected it to be - it was 3 inches lower. Grace, thy name is me: I fell forward, landing on the same wrist that I seem to injure every time I fall in any venue. (Of course my skirt floated up over my butt when I did that, adding to my humiliation. Luckily, it was well after students had left for the day, so that only people who got the show were a couple of the maintanance staff.)
It doesn't hurt going forward or backward, just when I twist it to the right. There's no swelling or bruising, but I'm worried about the 1500 meter swim on Sunday. The 40K bike and 10K run don't worry me so much. So, here are my options:

  • Don't do the triathlon. Rest up, watch Husband and Son do it.
  • Do it at an easy pace, wearing a wrist brace. Consider it a training experience, and don't even try to push it.
I have about 60 hours to figure out what I'm going to do. In the meantime, I'm crossing my fingers that my right wrist gets better during that time.

I'm nervous enough about this tri without having an aching body part.

3 comments:

  1. What about taping it just enough to support it and swim with it?

    I have arthritic wrists, which is why I love my aerobars - don't need to support myself on my hands and wrists on the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let you body, and what its telling you, be your giude. How about a short trial swim tomorrow, to test out how it feels. Remember, there will be lots more races, but if you exacerbate the injury, they'll be even further off.

    Heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your injury (re-injury!) OUCH!
    I think you will be OK if you can try to swim to see if THAT aggravates it, and if you can get in a comfortable position on the bike. I know when I had wrist surgery, it was finding a way to bend my wrist on the handlebars so I felt like I was actually holding on!
    How many more days do you have? We have five more...and yes, middle school kids right now are NOT fun to be around! (Or elementary school kids for that matter!)
    Hang in there, and let us know what you are going to do about this weekend! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...