Friday, June 30, 2006

Spoiled rotten.

I was working on my muscle of the week post, below, when suddenly....nothing happened.

There's nothing quite like the quiet of a neighborhood of electric houses when the power goes out, especially since there was no storm, no wind. Well, of course there was the swearing that ensued because I had just finished my post and the computer went black...but, the sun was shining brightly, and then just birds, the soft whirr of hard drives, compressor fans, and electric motors powering down. No bubbling aquarium. No humming refrigerator or air conditioner or fans. Neighbors wonder into the street, dazed, and point to you, and them back themselves. You too?
(Meanwhile, drivers presumed that the lack of a traffic light entitled them to go straight through any intersection, without stopping and checking first, so there were some sirens).
I started thinking about what I could be working on during the lull, and having "Homer" moments. Hey, I know--I'll vaccum out the car! doh!
Hmm. Practice dancing to, uh, music...watch tv...doh!
The best I could do was pack my gear for tomorrow's triathlon, the Grady Williams Soft Sandy Deathmarch, (not its real name, just what I presume it to be after having received repeated warnings from friends about how difficult the 10K portion was).
When I was in college, I had lots of contingencies because it was South Dakota, so I had a wood stove and lanterns. Now I've gotten soft. I depend on my creature comforts. Everything in my house is electric, and I'm spoiled rotten.

1 comment:

  1. my boyfriend and i had a rough time adjusting when we lost power for a week after hurricane Wilma. once we got used to it i swore to myself i'd never get hooked on electronics again. but who am i kidding ?? our society is so bad. we're all spoiled !!

    good luck with your tri !!

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...