Thursday, September 18, 2008

Day 5 of no running.

Erk.
I have lots of reasons to run, too. Other than the stress of work, it's just so GORGEOUS out! The mornings are wonderful. But that twinge I got while walking through Target buying Pumpkin-Spice Kisses reminds me that I still have to take it easy.
The pain is on the front of my left leg, way down down near the foot. Used to feel like a nerve thing, now it feels like a bruise. I don't feel anything when I press on it, so no shin splints or stress fractures.

It's times like this I'm tempted to speed up the healing and spend my money by trying homeopathy, magnets, acupuncture, aromatherapy...any and all of the things that have no scientific basis in working or proof that they work at all, because of the little voice that whispers, "what if...they did work... just this once?"

What IF?

I was told once that if I didn't believe in alternative healing, my negative energy would keep it for working.

>coughBULLSHcoughIT<

Real stuff that works will work whether I believe in it or not. Besides, I know what it is, and it's very simple: It's a pissed-off tendon from doing lots of running downhill. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

>sigh<

Tomorrow, (Day 6 of no running) I'll do a short (20 mile) ride on my bike, and then get a message. Then, lots of ice and analgesics. Saturday (Day 7) evening I'll go watch Mini-Baboo at his XC meet, and then try a short, flat, evening run. That's the plan, anyway.

I need to run again! Without it, I'm just sitting round, lazy and getting fat on Pumpkin Spice Kisses.

...

9 comments:

  1. I feel ya! I'm on day 5 of no running .. I hate it.

    Hope to run on saturday or sunday but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for this post Misty - I am so over back-to-back chest infections I was thinking similar thoughts but you are RIGHT.
    BTW your last line is my life except no Pumpkin Spice Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, now I just gotta try the Pumpkin Spice Kisses..You wore me down..
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your leg heals soon. Rest up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Message" is the way to go. I'm married to one of those "message" therapists. She keeps me going when the body says no more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you know it's a tendon-check out prolotheraphy! I have done it on my left foot-with amazingly great success!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still not running either. But I'm doing rehab exercises now instead of RICE, so I think that's progress (or at least I hope it is!)

    I'd go for a massage, but I don't like people touching me, so it would probably make me feel worse.

    Husband's doctor sent him for acupunture for some back issues. I gave him the raised eyebrow look. He says he's trying to keep an open mind, but jury's still out on that one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What exactly are pumpkin spice kisses? Where can I find these little beauties? Please inform the clueless!!!!!

    Off to the Hershey website....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live for my acupuncture treatments one a month for maintenance, more often for pain issues. It keeps me going and my sinuses clear (normally.) If you are open to it, it does work. I usually fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing links to commercial websites from people with invisible profiles are deleted immediately. Spammers are immediately deleted.

Moved.

 I'm no longer involved in multisport or endurance sports. I've started my own business, a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety d...