10. I have an office, with a door that locks. It has a desk, a computer, a bookcase, a window, and a couple of chairs. I have never had an office before. The closest I had was a classroom, and 90 people trooped through there every day, throwing trash on the floor, occasionally spitting, and writing on my stuff.
9. I'm going to have my own laser printer soon. They actually apologized for not having it ready the first day.
8. There's a mariachi band every Wednesday in the lobby, next to the coffee shop.
7. Did I mention the coffee shop? They have lattes, mochas, smoothies, and pastries. It's run by vets and benefits veterans industries, so I am contributing to the greater good while indulging my coffee habit.
6. There is a medical library. Today they, like, printed stuff for me. FOR ME. Just because I asked. They didn't charge me, or take it out of my photocopy "limit," either. I don't have a photocopy limit. When I asked someone about that, she looked like me as if I'd asked about Sasquatch.
5. Any and all employee training takes place during the day, while I'm at work. They don't expect me to stay after work to do it.
4. There is a 1/4 mile track through a park in front of my building. It is shaded by very old cottonwood trees and includes some bars and benches to stretch on. It's just part of this really beautiful old campus that is mostly a collection of century old pueblo-style buildings. There is a new, modern facility for the medical center, but all old building are still in use. Behavioral health, where I work, is in the original veteran's hospital building.
3. I have my very own panic button! It's mounted under my desk and apparently if I push it, armed guards will instantly rush to my aid. Should be pretty fast, given that the VA Police are 3 doors away from my office.
2. Everyone smiles all the time and seems very happy to be there.
1. Except for the occasionally disgruntled patient being escorted down the hall by the VA Police who are 3 doors down.
Dear Diary, For the first time in 7 years I have a goal. It takes a lot to get me motivated. I am the demotivation queen. The princess...
Dear diary, is anyone out there? it doesn't take a genius to notice the rapid decline in the number of posts on this blog in the pas...
Dear Diary, I hate talking on the telephone. I talk on the phone all day at work. I get off one call, and can have between five and t...
So here's my idea. Let's do some public service stuff for all the people that have resolved to get healthier and fitter during 08. ...